Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Wet Test and the Search for the Next Running Shoes!

A day after my 15.4k run, I felt a pain in the outer right side of my right foot. Still tolerable but annoying since the pain is triggered everytime I'm using my right foot. My conclusion was that my running shoes are giving up on me. The rubber beneath the shoes were starting to come off and I felt that the soles are not flat anymore, maybe because I used it also for basketball (yea good job!). And as if I needed a second opinion, I used it again last August 21. Confirmed. After 4.2k of running, I just had to stop because of the pain. I started walking with a little bit of limping. It was a good thing I was with Ernest who is not really a runner. We walked most of the remaining kilometers of the 11k workout. My conviction to buy a new pair of running shoes became stronger.

I was searching in the internet different some different designs of shoes when a friend asked me if I knew what foot type do I have. I knew that there are running stores that have machines and technologies to know your foot type. But because I was too lazy to go there(heheh), I tested it myself using the WET test(click here for more details). The wet test is a simple way of knowing your foot type by just using water and paper. Just soak the sole of your foot and step on a paper. I used a newspaper.
Lo and behold, the wet test told me that I have a flat left foot and a neutral right foot. I never thought this was possible and I became conscious on how I walk and run. I was convinced that they are not the same because I started to feel and observe the slight difference in the way I step each foot! A little disturbing but fun to know more about your body.. Oh well google! I guess I just have to buy a pair of stability running shoes to compensate for the left flat foot since neutral type mostly can wear just about any kind of shoe. Right now I'm still on the look for my new pair of running shoes. I can't wait to get back to running again!

No comments:

Post a Comment